Wednesday, April 21, 2010

1st Haircut

Luke's hair was getting a little out of control - something he inherited from me I'm sorry to say. At the end of the day his hair was beyond nasty. Those locks collected sunscreen, sweat, dirt, banana, pasta sauce.... you name it and it was probably stuck in his hair at one point or another. Luke was also blessed with these crazy cowlicks (is that how you spell it? really?) on both sides of the back of his head that makes his hair even more unruly. It was driving us (mostly me) nuts. It needed to be cut. I have cut Matt's hair for the past 7 years so I figured I was as experienced I needed to be to give Luke a trim. We also figured that he would never sit still and cooperate if we took him to an actual barber. We used about every source of distraction and bribery that we could think of (not the best parenting tactic, I admit but hey, you do what you have to do right?)

The Before Pictures...
(I did not mean to have the blur/out of focus background here but I think it's kinda cool- like it captures how Luke is always on the go or something)
He would NOT cooperate for me to get a good picture of his crazy hair. He REALLY wanted the camera and when I wouldn't give it to him he wasn't too happy.

We had Matt hold Luke while watching Sesame Street clips on YouTube. It worked fairly well. Luke was really entertained by the "Elmo Song" clip. We probably played it 7 times. The rest of the night Matt and I both had this ridiculous song stuck in our heads (LaLaLaLa LaLaLaLa Elmo's song.... ahhhhh)

After I had finished 99% of the haircut Matt thought we should probably have a picture of me in action vs. being the one behind the camera. I had to hold Luke in position with my legs, give him a cookie and put on The Music Machine on DVD... just for a few pics. Totally worth it.

The Final Result (Drumroll please...)
He still wouldn't really cooperate for a good 'after' picture. *sigh*

Please ignore the fact that he has cookie smeared all over his face. He's officially no longer my baby. Doesn't he look like such a little man?
Yes, I saved pieces of his hair in a ziplock bag for the baby book. And yes, I cried afterward.

4 comments:

Aaron and Erika said...

Looks great, mom! I don't know if I'll be brave enough to cut Micah's hair when that time comes... yet another reason why it sucks that we don't live closer! :)

Heather said...

Great job Lisa! You cut Matt's hair, too?! I'm impressed! I guess I'm lucky; if I mess up on Nate's hair, it just sort of gets hidden in the curls.

Sarah Schenkel said...

He does look older! It is sad and wonderful at the same time, isn't it?

Steph said...

adorable!