Monday, June 21, 2010

Play Dough

The other day I was desperate to get some things done in the kitchen. Luke had other goals in mind- one of them must have been to drive me crazy! I needed something to keep him contained and entertained. The solution... play dough! I found a recipe online for making edible play dough using oatmeal, flour and water. It wasn't fancy play dough and must not have tasted all that good because every time Luke would put a piece in his mouth he'd make a face and spit it out. He was interested in it and seemed to enjoy smashing it and pulling it apart. Worked like a charm at giving him something to do besides drive me batty!



The cool thing about this form of play dough (apart from being super cheap and easy to make AND safe to eat) is that it can be baked afterward. Once Luke was done playing with it, I took the dough and made flat, round cakes with it. Then I pressed his hand and foot into each one - creating a keepsake!
I put them outside on the patio table and let the sun bake them. Once they were hard and dry I painted them to highlight the hand/footprints.
I'm pretty happy with the final results. We'll definitely be making more things with play dough in the days to come.

3 comments:

The Worsts said...

Very cute and creative Lisa!

Sarah Schenkel said...

Super cute idea! I may have to try making play-dough if it really tastes that bad, although Aliyah would still probably eat it. Yuck.

Steph said...

Very cute! I'd love to get your recipe. I've used my mom's recipe for playdoh but haven't tried an edible one, and I love the hand/footprints!!!