Friday, December 18, 2009

My son: The escape artist

I usually wait to take a shower until Luke is napping. However, it is not always possible to squeeze in a shower with everything else I put off to accomplish during nap time. Well, Wednesday was one of those days that I had too much to do AND Luke decided that 30 minute naps was all he would grace me with. So, if I wanted to get a shower in I'd have to resort to plan B - strap Luke in his baby seat next to the shower, surround him with toys and entertainment items, and hope that I can at least get the shampoo out of my hair before he starts squirming/whining to be released.

At least that was my plan. It has worked in the past, so why wouldn't it work now? (I have so much to learn when it comes to being a mother to a very active baby boy.)
I started the shower to get the water warmed up, strapped Luke into his seat, surrounded him with toys and even a snack of Cherrios, then left the room for one minute. Upon my return, I found that Luke been able to wiggle his way out of the straps (he had leaned forward enough to tip the chair then walked on his hands - picture a wheelbarrow race- to get his legs out of the straps) and was crawling into the shower. Mind you, the water was running and Luke, fully clothed, thought it looked like fun.
I probably should have stopped him and told him "no" but instead, I grabbed the camera and had a Kodak moment.... and then jumped in with him, taking a shower with my clothed, soaked 8 month old splashing and having a glorious time at my feet. It's a win-win situation. :)

The scene of the crime - notice the buckled straps
Pure Delight!
Done already?!? But I'm not even wrinkled up yet?
(sorry, I couldn't resist posting the butt shot)

7 comments:

Jill said...

That's hilarious! He's such a little stinker...very smart. :)

Auntie Erika/Uncle Aaron said...

Awesome! :) Like mom said... it's hilarious until it's your child. And sometimes even then it's still funny! :) Reminds me of some pictures I've seen of Jim, fully clothed, in the bathtub. :)

Sarah Schenkel said...

This made me smile! I am so glad that you seized the moment instead of getting frustrated. That's awesome and a good reminder for me. Most things are all a matter of perspective.

Jessica said...

Oh that made me laugh! I'm glad you at least got a picture and chuckle out of it. How cute! baby buns are just adorable :) Showers are definitely a challenge when you are a mama of little ones!

Julie said...

ha ha. that is SO funny! And I also love that you just let him join you. :) I'm guessing it wound up easier that way!

The Worsts said...

That is great- you got a shower and he had a blast:) So funny!

Steph said...

Great fun! Sophia loves to play in the tub while I shower and it comes in handy when I need to shower while she's awake. Nice to know that Luke will have fun if you need to put him in there again and you can skip the baby seat. things get a lot more challenging once they're mobile, don't they. ;)