Thursday, December 10, 2009

Belated Birthday Post

I am trying to get caught up on all the events that I want to blog about before we leave for Chicago. At least that is my goal. We'll see if I am actually able to reach it.


It was Charles' 15th birthday the week before Thanksgiving (Nov. 19). Charles is such an old soul that it was hard for me to remember that he was only 14 when he first got to our house. It still amazes and impresses me how these boys are able to go through high school in another language and entire oceans away from their parents and everything familiar to them. I know I couldn't do it, at least not as a teenager. So, Matt and I try to do what little we can to make them feel comfortable and special, especially on their birthdays and other holidays.
Charles with his birthday cake, cookie cake, and presents
(we got him a basketball and chocolates - sorry no pictures).
Blowing out the candles
I asked Charles what he would like to do for his birthday several times. He kept responding with, "I don't know". Finally, I realized that he may feel awkward requesting something special for his birthday, so I threw out a few suggestions/ideas. When I mentioned that we could go bowling, he asked, "what is bowling?". After explaining it as best I could, Charles said that he had heard of the sport but had never gone bowling before. So bowling we went! Matt and I haven't been bowling in... gosh, I don't know, years at least! It was fun for us to go out as a family and have some friendly competition. :)

Charles and Luke at the bowling alley
Luke, obviously, didn't bowl but he DID like investigating the bowling balls
"So this is where the fingers go"
Matt
Jung
Charles

Charles, again.
Matt, who is a self proclaimed 'terrible bowler', bowled a fantastic game our second round. If look closely at the picture you can see his first 3 frames were strikes, followed by 2 spares and another strike. I think his next few frames were pretty much the same - either a strike or a spare! The rest of us did not do quite as well but it was a fun time overall. We will definitely go again.

2 comments:

The Worsts said...

Looks like a blast! I'm sure you are making them feel loved! Luke continues to be adorable:)

Sarah Schenkel said...

What great parents you guys are! It's so much fun to hear about and see your adventures with these two lucky guys. :-)