Friday, March 19, 2010

Owies

One of the "bummers" of having an EXTREMELY active little guy is that Luke has already has his share of bumps and bruises. I cannot even count all of the times poor little Luke has fallen and bumped his head. I think last week he had at least 3 bruises on his forehead, all in various stages of healing.
Just yesterday he fell in the bathtub. I thought he just bumped his head again but when he pulled his head back off my shoulder I quickly saw that it was more than that as the corner of his eye was all bloody. (insert shudders and goosebumps here). Somehow, Luke split open his eyelid. OUCH! Of course, this happened while Matt was at school so I had no reinforcements to help hold down his arms so I could get a good look/clean it out well. I tried to distract him with a sippy cup, toys, etc. No dice. For whatever reason I thought to try and distract him with Sesame Street (I almost NEVER have the TV on during the day, much less any kids shows)...worked like a charm! I was able to hold a cold washcloth on his eye for a little bit but still couldn't see how deep the cut was. Added to that was my fear that he smacked his head harder than I originally thought and he may have a mild concussion- he was SO mellow after awhile. After calling his pediatrician I was advised to head into Urgent Care in case he needed stiches. I HATE Urgent Care with a firey passion. AFter waiting for far too long we were told that it was just a minor cut (it just appeared to be deeper due to the natural creases in his eyelid) and he would be just fine. I must admit I felt a little like an over-reactive psycho mom. But Matt was quick to assure me that it was worth it- you can never be too careful when it comes to babies and head injuries. We survived and this is probably the first of many trips into Urgent Care with Luke - just a hunch.
Poor baby

3 comments:

Aaron and Erika said...

Poor little guy! Reminds me of when Jim did that falling out of mom and dad's bed as a kid... only he needed stitches. Hope he feels better soon! Love and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Sure thankful that it wasn't any worse -- but never, NEVER, call yourself an "over-reactive psycho mom" again! You were being a wonderful, concerned mom, and you definitely did the right thing. Too bad the Urgent Care places are so filled with germs and you usually have to wait to be seen, but they're still better than an ER. I'll have to find the pictures of Jimmy when he had stitches in almost the same place -- and also the same eye!
Love you all! Grannie Jannie

Heather said...

Yikes! What do you do to that kid?! Just kidding :) You both are amazing, loving parents, who are raising an active boy. Glad Luke was able to tough it out. On to the next post! (I'm a few months behind...)