Saturday, June 27, 2009

Part I

We have actually had some 'blog worthy' events in the past week or so in the DeBoer household and here I am, just now getting around to posting on the blog. It may take a few separate posts to cover all the excitement so stay tuned. :)

Blog worthy event #1: First Father's Day!
We don't really celebrate holidays such as father's day, mother's day, our birthdays, our anniversary, etc. We're pretty lame in that department in all honesty. Overall, we had a nice Father's Day....bittersweet. It was fun to celebrate the fact that Matt is now a wonderful father to our precious little Luke. However, father's day is also a difficult day, remembering Matt's dad and wishing he was still here to experience all these new life changes with us.
Luke and I woke Matt up with breakfast in bed - nothing special, just a cinnamon roll, fruit and coffee. Luke and I painted a picture frame for Matt earlier in the week and put Luke's footprints on either side of the frame, making for a cute and inexpensive father's day present. We went to church in the morning, headed to Panera for lunch, then home to relax, watch golf, and take naps.

Matt and Luke enjoying breakfast in bed.
Special Father's Day Kisses... nice and slobbery!

Blog worthy event #2: Back to work.

Sadly my maternity leave is over and I reluctantly went back to work on Monday. This was the day I had been dreading since giving birth back in April. And while it was NOT fun to go back, it wasn't as bad as I had originally anticipated. I have never been more glad to be married to a teacher. Usually the summers are difficult for me. I gripe about how Matt has the summers off and I have to work year round. I complain that I have to get up and head into work while Matt sleeps in, watches sports center, and golfs his days away (that may be a bit of an exaggeration but you get the picture). However, now that Luke is here, I am SO glad that Matt has the summers off and can be home with him. I know that this made it that much easier for me to go back to work. It was comforting to me to know that Luke is at home with his dad, his crib, his toy, etc. and I didn't have to drop him off at a daycare center with someone he was unfamiliar with in a new atmosphere. Matt did wonderfully with Luke all by himself. It took some adjusting and there were a few moments of frustration, which was to be expected, but he did great...and didn't even mind me calling and texting every hour, on the hour, for Luke updates. :)
Here are a few random pics from the week...

Tummy Time is paying off!
A look back..This picture was taken in the hospital when Luke was one or two days old - wearing a Redlands Community Hospital shirt....
Fast forward two months... Luke wearing the same shirt -a much snugger fit.

"yo dad.. another bottle"

Blog worthy event #3: Grandma and Pops Thomson return!

My parents arrived on Wednesday in order to be here for Luke's Baptism on Sunday. It was so much fun to show them how much Luke has grown and changed since they were here last. We try to 'Skype' with them as often as possible so they get to see him via webcam every so often (which is so much nicer than just seeing photos or even videos) but definitely not the same as seeing him in person, being able to hold him and interact with him. Matt and Pops. went golfing on Thursday and since I was working, that meant that Grannie Jannie got to take care of Luke all day!

Proud Grandparents. I don't think they stopped smiling the entire time they were here. :)


Reading with Grannie Jannie. Notice Proud Grandma is wearing a homemade T-shirt with Luke's picture on it!
Playing with Pops... Pops would make a 'pop' noise with his mouth which would get a giggle/smile out of Luke every time! Notice Proud Pops is also wearing his homemade T-shirt with Luke's picture on it!


Reading with Pops ~ Good Night Moon...a Classic
Ready to go golfing!

Snuggle/Spoil time with Grannie Jannie. We love you Grandma and Pops!
Ok, I still have a few more events to post about. However, I still have to upload the pictures onto our computer so I'm going to call it good for now and plan to update with part II tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned for :

Event #4: Grandma DeBoer and Aunt Andrea return!

Event #5: Meeting Great Grandpa and Great Grandma DeBoer!

Event #6: Meeting the Schalliols!

Event#7: Baptism!!

4 comments:

Brigitte said...

So much happening. Get use to it life will never slow down. I kept waiting for that to happen and it just get to rolling even faster. He is adorable!

Unknown said...

Love the "yo dad, 1 more bottle" photo. Your feelings remind me of myself at that stage in life. Hang in there. My baby just came home from a date only to take off to a friends house - IT'S 11 PM!!!!! How I wish I could rock him and lay him in his crib.....

Auntie Erika/Uncle Aaron said...

I can't believe how much Luke has changed since we were there in May! He was absolutely adorable when we met him, but he's getting so cute and looks like he's got a little personality to go with his good looks. :) We miss you guys!!! Love you!!

The Worsts said...

Loved the post...I'm guessing work and school and LIFE is keeping you busy:) But I'm excited for Part II...maybe even Part III!

Miss you guys! Your little guy is adorable. Wish we could fight over holding him, like we do with Josiah! Our friends have made some cute babies thus far!