Saturday, May 23, 2009

Schedules and Golf Carts

I don't really feel like I have much to blog about - our lives are NOT that exciting- but I felt like I needed to post something, especially for those friends and family members who are far away... at least we can have the illusion of 'keeping in touch'. :)

It has been two weeks now since our last visitors left. We have been getting used to being just the three of us and settling into a routine, at least somewhat. I have another three weeks before I go back to work so I am trying very hard to get Luke on a consistent schedule in an attempt to make things that much easier for Matt when he takes over as full-time caregiver in the summer. So far, so good. Luke is pretty much on a three hour schedule, at least for now. He's more or less on the Babywise schedule, if any of you are familiar with that, which follows a three hour (give or take) schedule where the baby eats, is awake and playful for awhile, then sleeps, wakes up to eat.... and the cycle continues - you get the picture. Currently Luke is doing well on this schedule. He's not the best napper which can be frustrating at times. He fights falling asleep and then once we get him to sleep he'll sleep for about 30 minutes on average and then wake up thinking its play time again. I have found that if I get him at that 30 minute mark when he's just waking up then I can settle him down again and he'll get a good nap in after that (an hour and a half at least). However, if I wait to get him until he's been awake for awhile then he's too worked up to get back to sleep, despite my best efforts. I'm not sure if this is just part of his sleep cycle or if he has gas that wakes him up or what, but I'm hoping that he'll grow out of it. Thankfully, he doesn't have this issue when he's sleeping at night- only naps. I've never been a very good sleeper. I've always struggled in getting to sleep and staying asleep (I'm SUCH a light sleeper) so I'm praying that Luke didn't get that from me. I guess time will tell.


We tried to get some 'One Month' pictures but we lack the necessary photography skills, not to mention that our camera is not anything special, but hey, it takes pictures so we shouldn't complain.

Luke - sporting his first pair of basketball shorts.

Matt's basketball team gave Luke his first basketball
it has a small fleece blanket that tucks inside . So cute.
Last Friday Matt took a personal day from work and played in a golf tournament out in Palm Springs with two friends. He's played in this tournament/fund raiser for the past few years and looks forward to it. This year, since I wasn't working, I was able to go out for the afternoon with one of the other player's wife and daughter - Sarah and Aliyah. I was a little worried that Luke wouldn't do very well - with the heat (nearing 100 degrees) and him not napping well- but he took a nice long nap in the morning and ended up doing so well. It was so much fun to take him out and hang out with Sarah. We even took the kiddos for their first ride in a golf cart! (Matt has been trying to figure out a way to strap a car seat into a golf cart since he found out we were pregnant - knowing his prospective summer golfing schedule would be seriously altered after having a baby).

Sarah, Aliyah, and Luke - our adventure in the golf cart!

The first of many golf cart rides for Luke, no doubt.

5 comments:

Brigitte said...

I hear you on the sleep issue. Gracie was and still is a pretty bad sleeper. Everything can wake her up. It just takes them sometime to get the hang of it but you are way ahead already if you are doing babywise. Smart mommy! Thanks for sharing the updates.

Jessica said...

That's great that you're getting him on a schedule. We did Babywise with Ethan and it worked great. If it makes you feel any better Ethan would only nap for 30 minutes from 3-6 months. It drove me crazy. But then it just stopped and he started taking longer naps again. Hopefully it's just a quick phase for Luke!

Jessica said...

Oh and I feel your pain on the light sleeper thing, that is totally me too. I HATE it.

Unknown said...

Glad to see Matt has keepin some priority on golf! ;)
Hope you guys are doing well!!

Sarah Schenkel said...

I had so much fun riding in the golf cart with Luke! Great day!
~Aliyah